October 23, 2015

G.I. Joe




Playing with action figure toys is an immersion in fantasy and a suspension of disbelief.  Let’s look at the G.I. Joe action figures that make it possible for young players to enter into a wondrous state of play and make-believe.


In 1982, Hasbro re-launched the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero line of action figures in smaller 3 ¾” height, complete with vehicles, play sets, and a complex background story.  This popular toy line which included of a group of heroic, dedicated, fighting soldiers lasted for 12 years until it was canceled in 1994.  The G.I. Joe figures have become American icons among toys and their appeal, stories, and concepts have entered into American popular culture.


Here’re the 162 freedom fighters of the 1982-94 toy line that most people identify with.  Idea for this visualization came from this G.I. Joe article.


No comments:

Post a Comment